Outstanding state schools in London certainly aren’t in short supply – there are 342 ‘outstanding’, state-funded primary schools in London, and plenty of excellent state secondary schools too. With so many to choose from, we have rounded up the top state schools in London for you.
Choosing a top state school when moving to London with a family
Choosing an area to live, finding your ideal home, deciding which local pub whets your whistle: these are all big decisions when relocating to London. If you have kids, however, there’s one decision that’s even more important: which school you’re going to send them to. Yes, you love your job and can’t wait to call London home; but if your child isn’t happy, the relocation won’t be a success – and choosing the right school is central to this.
Our school days are supposed to be the happiest of our lives, so give your child the best chance of experiencing this for themselves by taking the time to learn about the top state schools in London.
Best primary state schools in London (age 4-12 years)
Outstanding state schools in London certainly aren’t in short supply – there are 342 outstanding, state-funded primary schools in the capital to be precise. With so many to choose from, you won’t struggle to find a primary school that scores top marks.
Here are ten of the very best state schools in London:
- Fox Primary School (Kensington & Chelsea)
- St Joseph’s RC Primary School (Brent)
- Thomas Jones Primary School (Kensington & Chelsea)
- Bousfield Primary School (Kensington & Chelsea)
- The Cathedral School of St Saviour and St Mary Overy (Southwark)
- The London Oratory School (Hammersmith & Fulham)
- St Peter’s Catholic Primary School (Greenwich)
- Sir William Burrough Primary School (Tower Hamlets)
- St John and St James Church of England Primary School (Hackney)
- Paxton Primary School (Lambeth)
Best secondary state schools in London (age 12-16 years)
Thankfully, finding the best state schools in London isn’t like finding a needle in a haystack. With so many outstanding state secondary schools to choose from, it’s more a case of being spoilt for choice.
Here’s a list of ten of the very best:
- Queen Elizabeeth’s School (Barnet)
- Wilson’s School (Sutton)
- Henrietta Barnett School (Barnet)
- Tiffin Girls’ School (Kingston upon Thames)
- St Olave’s and St Saviour’s Grammar School (Bromley)
- Tiffin School (Kingston upon Thames)
- Sutton Grammar for Boys (Sutton)
- Nonsuch High School for Girls (Sutton)
- The Latymer School (Enfield)
- Holland Park School (Kensington & Chelsea)
Use the Simply London School Finder Tool
Simply London have developed a unique school finder tool to help you select the right state school for you.
Use the map to filter London state schools by:
- Nearby rental prices
- Ofsted rating
- Primary / secondary / all-through
- Mixed gender / boys / girls
- Religious character
- and more!
Sign up to free email alerts for lettings in school catchment areas. Register now. Cancel any time.
Get help from the Schools Experts
Simply London won’t just help you to identify good state schools in London; we will help you secure a place for your child at one as well.
We offer two options designed to take the hassle out of your school search, in addition to our home search and settling-in services: