Moving day D-15: you signed your lease, registered your children in school and found the perfect au-pair for your baby, but have you thought of your pets?
It would be a shame to realize, the day before your move, that your pets must stay on the “continent”, for lack of preparation.
Simply London, the leading London relocation agency, explains the rules and the formalities you will have to comply with when coming from Europe with pets.
Renting a property in London with pets
During your property viewings, always specify if you have a pet (cat or dog). Some owners (or building regulations) categorically prohibit the presence of pets, so beware before signing the lease.
For your information, the security deposit of a rental property in London is increased to 8 weeks rent when tenants have pets.
What are the health formalities required at the border?
The good news is that there is no quarantine for dogs, cats and ferrets arriving in the United Kingdom from a member country of the European Union. However, you must comply with the provisions of the Pet Travel Scheme (PTS).
Your pet must:
– Have a microchip
– Have had an anti-rabies injection, more than 21 days old on the date of the trip
– Have a passport
– For dogs only, have received a deworming treatment within 120 to 24 hours before your departure, done by a veterinarian and registered in your dog’s passport.
Which transport companies are accredited and accept animals?
– By car, the easiest way, with undercarriage in Eurotunnel Shuttle, from Calais.
– By boat, with the following companies: P & O, Brittany Ferries, DFDS Seaways, My Ferry Link, Condor Ferries, LD Lines.
– By plane, it gets complicated. No “Low Cost” company transports animals (Easyjet, Ryanair, etc.), but the transport of cargo or cargo is still possible with certain companies, usually the large national carriers, under certain conditions. Check with these companies before booking your tickets however.
We hope this information will been helpful in preparing your four-legged friends for the big day!
Back to knowledge base