We always get many questions from parents about the timing and formalities to enrol their children in the London public/state primary schools system.
How to apply for a state school in London
To help you organize your school registrations calendar, you will find below a reminder of the fundamentals of the state schools applications in London:
- You will need to have an address in the borough of the school(s) you are planning to apply for.
2. Apply with the Borough
- Application is to be made with the Borough of your area of residence and not directly with the school(s)(some exceptions can apply, such as for some religious schools).
- You can apply for several schools at the same time.
3. In-Year applications
- Apart from registrations for the Reception class (4-5 years), applications are not conditioned by any deadlines.
- You must complete an “In Year Application” form with the Borough.
- For a September start, it is ideal to apply early July / end of June.
4. Reception class deadline
- For the Reception classes, the deadline is midnight on January 15th preceding the September school year you are applying for.
- After this date, applications are still possible, but the borough will allocate places according to the remaining availabilities (generally in the less oversubscribed schools).
- The applications will not be processed until after April 16th, when offers have been made to the families which have applied on time.
To increase chances of getting a reception place in a preferred school, it is therefore ideal if you can have your UK address before January 15th.
Good luck!Back to knowledge base