This town within the town is elevated in both senses of the word: located on one of north London’s highest hills it offers commanding views over the capital, while its avenues of attractive Edwardian houses help it exude the atmosphere of a prosperous market town.
- Local amenities
- Green spaces
Average monthly rent
State school checker
This town within a city is elevated in both senses of the word: located on one of north London’s highest hills it offers commanding views over the capital, while its avenues of attractive Edwardian houses help it exude the atmosphere of a prosperous market town. Muswell Hill always comes up in any conversation about London’s most sought-after suburbs. You might think that not having its own Tube stop or train station would put people off – but it only adds to the area’s charm. This welcome isolation has helped mould its village-like London suburb appeal, where residents can sidestep the disadvantages of family life in the capital without leaving.
- Tube: East Finchley and Highgate Tube stations – both on the High Barnet branch of the Northern line – are within walking distance.
- National rail: residents living on the Alexandra Park side of Muswell Hill have convenient access to trains to Moorgate via Finsbury Park from Alexandra Palace station.
- Bus: locals rely on the W7 bus to Finsbury Park tube station (zone 2 – Piccadilly and Victoria lines) and the 102 or 299 buses to Bounds Green tube station (zone 3 – Piccadilly line).
Things to do
- The high street: Edmondson adopted a unique approach to his project, creating the infrastructure first – a high street – before housebuilding started in earnest. And what a high street it is, spreading along the Broadway and Fortis Green Road, where you will find a diverse selection of chain and boutique shops, bars and restaurants.
- Open space: lovers of leafy walks are spoilt for choice around here, with Queen’s Wood, Highgate Wood, Alexandra Park – 196 acres with Alexandra Palace at its lofty summit – and The Parkland Walk on its doorstep.
- Leisure and the arts:
- Cinema: Muswell Hill Everyman cinema is located in an attractive Art Deco building.
- Events: Alexandra Palace – or Ally Pally as it’s affectionately known – is one of London’s most iconic exhibition and concert venues.
- Swimming: Park Road Pools and Fitness Centre in Crouch End is the nearest council-owned swimming pool – it is home to two outdoor lidos, indoor pools and a diving pool.